Saturday 21 December 2013

Green Zero

    If I were to write a continuation or sequel to 'Twenty-something' it might begin something like this...


The small white ball with its familiar rolling whistle of plastic on hard polished wood strikes the metal rivet and clangs, bounces and jostles into green zero. Twice in a row. Then a third time one spin later.
I joined this game of roulette with eighty New Zealand dollars. I left the table with three thousand. I always cover green zero.
It’s easy to get carried away making money this easy. I tipped the night shift worker of the late night pizza restaurant one hundred dollars for a fifteen dollar takeout. He was playing some old school rap music as I waited for my food and I figured he might like a pair of new trainers.
 As a rule I don’t play roulette. I’m a poker player. But I have a habit of breaking my own rules. I came a lousy third place out of a field of nine in the only game in town. For third place I got that eighty dollars. Then one hour later I’m carrying with me a decent months wages in cash.
Once you’ve had a few successful gambling experiences, the thought of the 9 to 5 twenty days a month bullshit to make the same money seems just that, bullshit. But once you rely upon the fate of a turn of a card or a little white plastic ball, then you’re fucked. I lost most of the three grand over the next two or three nights. I won’t even bother telling you about the time I made and lost eighteen thousand US dollars in one night. I will tell you though, that when you wake up in the morning, you feel sick. Not the kind of sick where you think you are going to vomit, but the kind of sick you feel when hit by a metaphorical bus, sledgehammer or any other large unforgiving object.
As time goes on you get used to the big losses. You become numb to it, you think in terms of buy-ins and chips and money ceases to hold the same value...   


Connect with me:
Twitter - @Paul_LEstrange
Blogger - http://www.paullestrange.blogspot.co.uk/  

Like these words? Subscribe, Comment and Share.

No comments:

Post a Comment